My Responsibility

Tell my doubts that they can die today
Imma catch me a wave, sail away
Can't stop me now
Tell depression it can fly away
Tell my doubts that they can die today
Imma catch me a wave, sail away
Can't stop me now LeCrae


Today is a holiday in the country of my birth- Trinidad  and Tobago. We celerate Emmancipation Day. A holiday declared to celebrate the abolition of slavery on the island. This is the 25th anniversary of this declaration of holiday. People had to fight and convince the leaders of the day that a holiday was essential,the same people who fought for the holiday were riduculed, laughed at and ignored, called mad people! Now 25 years later, this is a holiday, we pay homage to the one's who paved a path for us to live a different life.

I reflect on this day annually. there is usually a big celebration, a huge parade. I have stopped going, people don't understand why. I have never explained. I like to spend the time alone reflecting on this responsibility I have been given by those who came before me
I sometimes get scared, truth be told, what am I really doing with this responsibility to do better, to be better, to honor what those before me did? Am I doing anything?
Those that went before me fought, they sat down and didn't move, they prayed, they worked but most importantly they had a dream, a vision that things will change, that this too shall pass
That is so much inspiration right there for me, inspiration overload!
How do I step into these shoes? It scares th shits out of me, so I stay at home, and reflect
and today I pledge to move even thoughscared, to do the same thing, dream big, visualize better than today and work, pray and move towards that!

I am ready!
Give thanks
Peace




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

30 Things I Believe

What Does Support Look Like to You?

Sensible Optimism