Soul Space

There is no king who has not had a slave among his ancestors, and no slave who has not had a king among his. Helen Keller

My mother gave me an African name, 2 in fact. My mother is wise with foresight. She listened to the guidance given.
I have been fortunate to see and visit many places in the world (give thanks)
There are two places in particular, that speak to my soul (Super Island T&T and the African Continent)
When I set foot on the Continent, my soul rises up and speaks to me in ways I cannot even begin to explain
I am reminded of my responsibility: - to myself (to honour myself because there were those who came before me and made this path easier)
I am reminded of my responsibility to learn, to teach. To teach is to demonstrate, rather than to talk and pose and pretend.
I am reminded that I have work to do, to continue to build spaces for me, for others, to show up...real
I am reminded of how powerful I am
How courageous I am
How things take time to manifest
to have patience
to trust the process
I am reminded that just following the pack just for the sake of fitting or to keep the peace is weak. & I am not weak. I did not come from weakness
I am reminded that the challenges I face are par for the course and minute compared to the ones my grandma, my people faced & conquered & lived through.
I am reminded  - why I am here
I am reminded that not everyone will get it, will get me and that's OKAY as long as I get it
and after all these reminders I return to my other soul space T&T transformed within, the bagful of reminders nudging me to act on them, to remember them, to honour them
Peace



Have you read any of Akosua's work?


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

30 Things I Believe

What Does Support Look Like to You?

Sensible Optimism