South Africa - Week 2

The fear of sacrifice and loss is one of the greatest obstacles to our spiritual progress. And as long as we think we are losing something real, we will drag our feet.
ACIM


Anytime I visit  South Africa,I get an overwhelming feeling of hope and the urge to make my life better not just for me but for anyone that I come into contact with.

I look on from the outside and see the combination of improvement and struggle and angst and happiness which accompany the country's movement from a separated society to one that is moving towards unity.
I am reminded that everything is a process, it will not happen overnight, an unraveling of sorts.

This weekend I was fortunate to witness so many rituals all honoring long standing traditions. Some I agree with and some I look on and think, was this to accede or keep the peace?
In the church  I visited with the white Jesus, yet only black people in the congregation, singing what it would seem, like African freedom songs.

The honoring of the ancestors moved me, and the sense of community that the process brought, it seemed as though everyone from the surrounding areas came, people were streaming into and out of the house, people were on the street standing, eating, talking, celebrating.

I also witnessed a wedding at the Pretoria Botanical Gardens, well wishers and attendees in their traditional wear, the dancing and singing. A truly joyous moment.

Extremely grateful to have had the opportunity to he here to be a part of it all

For the reminders and lessons
of love, community, service, honor and tradition
Peace

Have you read any of Akosua's work?


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

30 Things I Believe

What Does Support Look Like to You?

Sensible Optimism