Journey to Unconditional Self Love

“Every relationship is the re - lationship you need at that time. Everything you do in every relationship have prepared you and beings you closer to the grand experience of total, uncon - ditional self-love and love for others” from the book In the Meantime By Iyanla Vanzant.

 Today I am scheduled to be on a radio programme. The topic is Journey to Unconditional Self Love. I sat down to prepare, to get my thoughts together and the thought of talking about it scared me. Why? Because I realized that over the last few weeks that my own definition of what self love is has not been upheld by me! So how can I now go and chat about Self Love when I seem to not be practicing it?

I pondered on that for a while. Looking for the lesson, this is what I came up with:

Unconditional Self Love, loving myself without conditions - maybe that is the lesson! Love myself despite the fact that I am not living up to the expectations set, love myself through the unmet  expectations. Love myself through the choices.

And that love transcends the denial. It pushes me to make new choices, make better choices, to accept the consequences of my choices. It pushes me to self compassion and self forgiveness. It touches me in being gentle in my self talk.

The Unconditional Self Love I expect is holistic, how I eat, how I rest, how I set boundaries, how I say no, how I say yes. It keeps me humble and grateful. It keeps me disciplined and committed.

It keeps me remembering that I am human and that I will mess up, make mistakes and piss people off

None of these things makes me less loveable or sends me on a spiral to not love me!

And for that I am grateful for the lessons and feel much better going into this discussion

Peace

Have you read any of Akosua's work?




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

30 Things I Believe

What Does Support Look Like to You?

Sensible Optimism