Am I brave enough?


It doesn’t interest me where or with whom you have studied I want to know what sustains you from the inside when all falls away/  I want to know  if you can be alone with yourself and if you truly like the company you keep in the empty moments. The Invitation by Oriah

Over 75% of the small scale farmers in Uganda are women. They are the ones growing the food in the country and this has come about over time particularly in the North where there was a number of conflicts over the past 20 years. They grow any and everything with Maize and corn being the most popular. As part of my role I will be involved in preparing a gender policy to assist in levelling the playing field. Agriculture is the main driving force and revenue earner for the economy.
The programme has two retail stores where they sell seeds and fertilizers to the farmers. It’s in the busiest part of the town centre, its noisy, lots of people, cars, buses motor bikes that they call boda-boda’s, Bata shoe stores (who knew??) its Africa at its best!! I went to work in one of the stores today.  The first customer came in and started talking in their language!! Duh!!! Or maybe oops! Let me observe rather than try to sell!!  Sit down on a chair somewhere!!! On top of that I have no clue about farming.  I was talking to the visionary woman who started this, she says I, just like you, have no background in farming, I just wanted better food for my family and my people!

So what did I learn today?
Apart from all the seed varieties’ and what grows how and when and which is the best fertiliser to use,  I learnt that everything happens when it needs to happen; everyone is always where they need to be. You will never miss out on what is meant for you, even if it has to come to you in a roundabout way.Such a simple thing. Are we brave enough? Am I brave enough? Sincere enough in my findings to find something of peace in the uncertainty Peace!!!


 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

30 Things I Believe

What Does Support Look Like to You?

Sensible Optimism