Gratitude is about NOW!


Free will means you can think whatever you want to think. You cannot however make untrue what is true or true what is untrue. The Universe is set up to work on your behalf. From a mind filled with infinite love comes the power to create infinite possibilities. (Marianne Williamson, best selling author)

Here’s a lesson from yesterday which to me was a totally PD moment (when the penny dropped and I got it!). Gratitude is about NOW! So what does that mean? Well, the way I interpreted it was that just because I have received good and blessings in the past it does not stop there and I do not have to beg for more good things to come, it’s coming. Give thanks for blessings that are coming too numerous to count. I also interpreted it as to give thanks for what I have right now, not hoping and wishing and wanting for what I do not have or do not see without focusing on the blessings that are ever present in front of me, taking it for granted.

Truth be told, as soon as I started giving thanks for what I have and had RIGHT NOW and stopped focusing on what’s missing, my life began to change. I began to say thank you every day for everything that made my life more and more comfortable and stopped focusing what I did not have. I was in Manchester and worrying myself about debts back home on my empty house that I had on the market for rent for over eight months, the bank calling and threatening me every often! I was focusing on what I did not have, did not know, blaming everyone else for the position that I chose to be in, no one told me to leave, I made that choice all by myself! Then I said but wait, let me stop for a hot minute, right NOW what is your situation? Are you on the streets? No!, Are you hungry? No! Are you doing what you want to do? Yes. Then by golly give thanks! Right there and then I went and wrote down every single thing that I am grateful for and since then I have been doing this every morning without fail and here I am today listening to a conversation of gratitude and giving thanks . Since then, my attitude has changed, I still got mad debts but I am focusing on what I have, and my mind has been clearer in how I can work on getting myself into a better place, heck even the bank seems to be friendlier!
All this is to say that I have learnt that gratitude is the great multiplier that miracles begin with an attitude of gratitude and recognition of what you HAVE.
Here I am in the midst of so much of what is “missing”, roads, constant electricity, running water, pavements, I can go on and on but the attitude is listen, let us give thanks because this is the beginning of the story and not the end. Let us give thanks because we know that this too shall pass and let us give thanks because we have been given a responsibility.

So what did I learn today?
I’ve learnt to be thankful and to take comfort in many of the simple things I take for granted, things that millions of people upon the earth can only dream about: a full refrigerator, clean running water, a soft warm bed, a long hot shower.

I’ve learnt to take responsibility for myself by myself and make myself a promise to never betray myself and to never, ever settle for less than my heart’s desire.
I’ve learnt that with courage in my heart, I take a stand, I take a deep breath, and I begin to design the life I want to live as best as I can. Peace!!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

30 Things I Believe

What Does Support Look Like to You?

Sensible Optimism