Freedom is a state of mind



Freedom is a state of mind.  It is the outgrowth of our willingness to make conscious choices of our own free will and to live through the consequences of our choices without blame, shame, or guilt.  Freedom is a sign of self-awareness.  When you are aware of what it takes to maintain your mental, emotional, and physical well-being and you make conscious choices toward that goal, you are exercising your freedom.Freedom is the recognition of the truth. Iyanla Vanzant


Today is Emancipation Day in Trinidad and Tobago and I am here on the island for the first time in a long time! There is a public holiday in declaration of this and a whole week of celebrations at what is called the Emancipation Village, with food, entertainment, crafts and art! I have been twice for the week and last night as I was there it hit me! I am here now because of the people that came before me and paved the path! What am I doing in honour and memory of this?To me its a serious question because it wasn't always like this, business as usual where people could wake up, go to work where they choose, eat where they want, jump on a plane etc..
So now that we have this freedom what are we doing with it, freedom that came at a price of lives, loves, dignity and struggle! It sobered me up I tell you! Last night sobered me up to make it my duty to leave this place better for those coming up behind me, to live a life that would make my ancestors proud and to never ever take my freedom for granted!
Peace!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

30 Things I Believe

What Does Support Look Like to You?

Sensible Optimism