Know Your Trigger Point

Remember that just because someone is good at debating, getting their point across, sounding confident and ‘winning’ arguments doesn’t actually mean what they are saying is truthful or even relevant. Maryaam Hasnaa

I live on a compound with 2 parks, a big one and a small one. Since our stay at home orders due to the Corona, I have been grateful that there is a space that I can use to walk, to exercise, the get mangoes (there are laden mango trees in the parks) and to get some fresh air.

I started using the park to exercise at least 2 mornings a week. Things were going swimmingly,I would wake up, walk to the park and sometimes would call out one of my good neighbour to accompany me. The both of us would sometimes play a little music to raise the vibes whilst exercising. Healthy fun all round.

Yesterday, as I walked to the park, I noticed a few ladies on the street watching and pointing at me very animated, hands on hips. After a few minutes I saw one of them walking into the park with intent and purpose.

" we don't encourage exercise in this park" I looked at her as if she was speaking a totally different language. Is she really serious about life?

I continued to exercise and when I was finished, the women were waiting for me. Two of them still in their night clothes.
"Where do you live? You need permission to exercise here, we don't encourage outsiders to use that park"

Outsiders? Did she just say outsiders?
I was triggered, remember we spoke about triggers a few weeks ago?
These are some of my triggers, being unfairly treated, feeling unseen and unheard and others dismissing me
I was triggered!
Confessions on the Journey - I got so annoyed that I was rude to the lady who was making the point of me writing a letter to exercise in the park on a compound where I live. I must do better
I started arguing with her, until my ears got hot, literally heated ears. This is when I realised that I was on the verge of making a poor decision. I stopped and I walked away as she was angrily making her point mid sentence.

Here are my lessons:

1. Don't get sucked into the drama, state your boundaries and leave it be.
2. Know your triggers and when they are threatening to take you over - my hot ears were a sure sign.
3. The person speaking the loudest is not always the one making the most sense of the one being heard.

This morning I happily ignored them as I had a lovely workout in the park and left with a bag full of mangoes.

Peace

Have you read any of Akosua's work?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

30 Things I Believe

What Does Support Look Like to You?

Sensible Optimism