Triggers and I

Triggers are unhealed places within us which are stimulated by what's going on in our life - Iyanla Vanzant

I have been learning about triggers over the past few days, what are some of the unhealed places within me that when exposed by an event or a person or an activity.
The reason I felt it necessary to learn about these this is during to the time I have been spending with myself I have noticed that  more than ever I feel angry or annoyed even by the slightest thing, be it a word or something on social media. 
I wanted to get to the root of this behaviour. 

Triggers, I have learnt, may never go away however what helps is the ability to identify when one is being triggered and respond in a way that does not cause harm or regret.

Triggers motivate you to attack yourself and others which depletes your energy, to find someone to blame. Triggers  apply guilt and guilt demands punishment. Triggers make you defensive and you will look to defend yourself and possibly others when there really is no need to. In response to a trigger you will be hard on yourself and others.

Confessions on the Journey, I was shocked to learn what my triggers are!
Who Knew??

1. Rejection
2. Abandonment
3. Telling me that you will do something on this day or this time and not do it
4. Control
5. Feeling Dismissed and Ignored by others
6. Injustice
7. Felling that I have to do what others want , having to comply
8. Being blamed, shamed, judged and criticised.


So the journey has begun on healing by owning the feeling of being triggered by these events. The next step is learning how to respond in a healthy manner
The Journey continues

Peace


Have you read any of Akosua's work?
What Did I Learn Today? Lessons on the Journey to Unconditional Self Love


Follow Akosua on

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

30 Things I Believe

What Does Support Look Like to You?

Sensible Optimism