Off to Gulu


Walk humbly on the Earth. Do not burden yourself with the attitude that you must be superior to the other people you see, that you must somehow let them know you are better than them. For all you know, you are walking past a great healer or a patient and loving mother caring for a handicapped child, or a father who just found out he got the job he so desperately needed. Carolyn Myss (author)

Today I set off to Gulu from Kampala, this is approximately an eight hour journey by car. This is a town close to the Sudanese border and was the location of  much of the fighting between the Ugandan army and the Lord Resistance Army. Over 90% of the population has returned to their villages after more than two decades of living in concentration camps. Some of these camps are now “little towns”. This is my second visit there however this time I will be conducting a workshop for around 20 to 25 people. The last time I went there was stray baboons coming around the vehicle, nuff police stopping me and villagers calling me “white woman who knew?!??. I was thinking about this earlier and for me I cannot even think of myself living in a town with heavy fighting, wars and such violence for over twenty years they say! But what is even more awesome to me is how a number of women have risen above those circumstances to dream another dream, to build a legacy and better life for their families and people! I couldn't help thinking that their story did not end at oppression. They definitely added and “and” at the end of the sentence. I am scheduled to spend three days in the area and will visit two towns to conduct the workshops. In my wildest dreams I never ever thought I would be doing this type of work but I have learnt so much about trusting the process and starting with a YES. Truth be told I am a little nervous but I have committed to myself that I will do my best.
So what did I learn today?
We are all connected, no matter how you look, where you live, what you do. This whole illusion of separateness has made us believe that we are better off, superior or different. Take time to really observe the world you are walking in, breathing in, living in. Look at the people walking by you and hold the thought, “I have something in common with each one of them or else we would not be on the same Universe at the same time.” I’ve learnt from these courageous women that there is always a dream in you and this dream will be fulfilled once you decide to follow your heart have faith, detach and trust the process.
Here’s to the journey!
Peace

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

30 Things I Believe

What Does Support Look Like to You?

Sensible Optimism