A Different Wake Up Call

We cannot live only for ourselves. A thousand fibers connect us with our fellow men; and among those fibers, as sympathetic threads, our actions run as causes, and they come back to us as effects.”  Herman Melville


This morning as I locked my door to jump into my car to start my day as I was about to enter the car I saw a man lying on the road with blood gushing out of his head. At first glance I honestly thought he was dead. He was not moving. I took a few steps closer, as I was about to move, a few other people who were passing by stopped, then everything kicked in, movements started to happen.
calling the ambulance
finding his folks
checking for a pulse
we waited for a while until the ambulance came, until his parents came - they were screaming and in shock
the parents went with him in the ambulance
A few minutes later we got the news, he did not make it
He got up this morning and decided to take a run and that was it!
He is gone
I thought about how many mornings I wake up to take a run, all alone, singing in my head along with the music that I play
How many times I wake up and just move around with no one knowing where I am or what I am doing!
Taking the time to connect with nothing!
Today I got a different type of wake up call
May his soul RIP!

Peace
Have you read any of Akosua's work?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Listen......

Listen

Reading Alice Walker, Remembering Myself