How well do you listen?

Listening means:
• opening your heart to fully experience what someone is communicating to you
• giving absolute attention to the sound waves that roll off another person’s tongue
• mirroring the other person’s body language
• resisting the desire to speak until the other person finishes sharing his or her perspective
• being empathic
• putting your pride aside
• managing your emotion and internal dialogue
• seeking to understand the other person’s needs and feelings - Kyle D Jones

How well do you listen?

For me it is a conscious effort to remain present. Remaining present is holding off any judgement, asking questions to ensure that I fully understand what is being communicated. Remaining present is me not hatching a response before the person has completed their point. 
I practise listening because it is a wonderful way of learning. It provides a platform for building emotional intelligence.

In this conscious effort to listen I have found myself saying "I hear ya" quite a bit, both to family and to friends. "I hear ya" is my way of letting others know that I am listening, I am being present.
I have learnt that when I am fully present, in the moment, minus the judgement, the lessons and the feelings involved pave the way for so much richness. It opens a path for as Kyle Jones mentions, empathy and understanding. 
Listening is a way of letting go of control. Of knowing that things may not be our way, and that is not the end of the world.
Listening allows for a new perspective, a different view
Listening allows for the total belief in self!
As Maya Angelo people will always remember how you made them feel
Peace


Have you read any of Akosua's work?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

30 Things I Believe

What Does Support Look Like to You?

Sensible Optimism