The Bootstrapper's Way

A true friend is someone who thinks you're a good egg, even though they know you're slightly cracked. 



Last Tuesday, I met up with a few wonderful people that I am blessed to know, we took the time out to meet at a restaurant have some sushi and chat.
These wonderful people took the time to celebrate the fact that another book has joined the family.
To be honest, I was not going to make a big deal about this, I think it is because it reminds me of a part of my life that I classify as "unfinished business"
It brought up those memories reminding me that I left that part of of life without closing it off.
I started a PhD in Manchester UK with  a focus on women entrepreneurs in Trinidad and Tobago. The aim was to spend 3 years out there and compile a body of research that could be used to advance both the state of women's entrepreneurship and empowerment
I was doing this in the middle of a very difficult time in my life, everything was shifting, things that I held dear were being shown to me as something else. I was truly in a place of confusion. I believed that a PhD would prove to both me and the world that I was enough, that I was worthy. So I sold my car and a few other items with the belief that I would find the cash to finish it. I thought that once I started the end would come. The money ran out, and I got an opportunity to live in Uganda. I took it with the intention that I would return to Manchester to complete the programme
The paper I was working on was presented at a few conferences. Someone saw it and asked me to get a copy with a hope of using it out in Europe.The paper is now a published book as at August 2018. I am still in a bit of a shock.This was never planned, it was never scripted, it was never the dream!
I have learnt to remain open, to remain flexible
I have learnt that these women around me are real! they care with a type of safety that makes me know that I am ok around them
I have learnt that giving and receiving are the same thing
I have learnt to let go
Peace
The Bootstrappers Way



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

30 Things I Believe

What Does Support Look Like to You?

Sensible Optimism