Do Not Settle


Settling for crumbs doesn't keep you fed, it keeps you starving- Danielle La Porte

I've learnt that one of the most soul destroying actions is to settle! 

What does settling mean in this context?

Settling is when I do things  people ask me to do without questioning my  intention behind why I am doing it. What is my why?
Setling is when I do not question core beliefs handed down to me and I  live them despite the fact that they do not produce any forward movement in my life. In fact, they do more harm than anything else.
Settling is doing activities to keep the status quo.
Settling is doing a thing because I want someone to like me - people pleasing.
Settling is doing things out of shame and guilt.

Settling destroys authenticity, it promotes shame and guilt and leads straight to resentment. 

Do not settle! 

Ask for what you want with clarity, respect and dignity.
Show up as you, every single time.
Forgive yourself and others for miscommunication, misunderstandings.
Let it go.
Question core beliefs that have just been accepted because someone "said so."
Stop doing things to "look good" and to "be professional" Salma El Wardany says perceived professionalism is actually a code of conduct that keeps you in a certain club and has nothing to do with your ability to do your job and do it well. What professionalism actually is, is a subtle method of control. A stringent ‘one way of doing things’ and a stubborn refusal to change.  It’s a set of behaviours and rules that keeps a huge group of people in their place without disturbing a capitalist structure that is made, and benefits, a specific racial, socio-economic background. It is a safety blanket in a changing world. It is an abdication of having to evolve or iterate. Above all, it’s a myth we have spent too long maintaining. 

Settling simply destroys the soul.
Peace

Have you read any of Akosua's work?


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

30 Things I Believe

What Does Support Look Like to You?

Sensible Optimism