The Definition of Boom!


"My first advice is to say YES. In fact, say yes as often as you can. Saying yes begins things. Saying yes is how things grow. Saying yes leads to new experiences and new experiences will lead to knowledge and wisdom" Michael Hogan, President of the University of Connecticut

What would you do if you were not afraid? This is a question I now ask myself often! Why? Having believed and conditioned from a long time that I am a "quiet, shy nice girl" I really did stay away from the crowd but on the journey I was now being asked to speak and guess what speak in front of people" OMG! I can't do that?? 

So I was asked to come to Ottowa Canada by the UN Women and the Canadian International Development Agency (CIDA) to lead a workshop on women entrepreneurship. Who me?? When I heard what they wanted I said let me get back to you!

In Trinidad we have our own little language going on! Slangs and slangs galore!!! So I am talking to a friend of mine about this opportunity and immediately he said BOOM! I was like huh?
Boom means to me to show up and show out, it means to act as if its impossible to fail, that its allright! and the slang just stuck with me! I use it all the time so much so that in Manchester I am known in some classes as Professor Boom- the word just flies out of my mouth!

Never the less that short word got me to Ottowa and what happened after I will tell you in another post!

So :What did I learn today? Just do what you do and do it well. Stop worrying about what other people are doing or what they will say about what you are doing. Just do what you do to the best of your ability. You may never get an award or public recognition or five minutes on the news. Just do what you do because you love to do it. Some people may not like or support what you do. But some people will like it and support it and some might even pay you to do it. Whether people like it or not isn’t your issue! As Da Vinci says” Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Being willing is not enough; we must DO.” So I know and learnt today that I have something very important to do!

Peace!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

30 Things I Believe

What Does Support Look Like to You?

Sensible Optimism