Every experience is new


No work of love will flourish out of guilt, fear, or hollowness of heart, just as no valid plans for the future can be made by those who have no capacity for living now. Alan Watts, author

I was introduced to Alan Watts’s book “The Wisdom of Insecurity” whilst reading A Course in Miracles.  This book for me, is an eye opener as his belief is that trying to control every single aspect of our life is pointless because on any given day we do not know what will happen with certainty. It causes undue and untold stress. Watts says”But tomorrow and plans for tomorrow can have no significance at all unless you are in full contact with the reality of the present, since it is in the present and only in the present that you live. There is no other reality than present reality, so that, even if one were to live for endless ages, to live for the future would be to miss the point everlastingly”

How many times have I tried to plan things to the last detail and when they go contrary to these plans I stress out and end up blaming myself or being super duper hard on myself only to realize that what eventually happens is even better than the plans I made in the first place?

How many of us take comfort in “knowing our future”? But do you really know it? Watts’s whole premise is to let go, big picture thinking and work towards it! Every experience is new no matter how similar it seems to the past.

 

So what did I learn today?

Get comfortable with uncertainty! It builds the faith muscle and its way cool to see what happens, it actually blows your mind!

Peace!!

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

30 Things I Believe

What Does Support Look Like to You?

Sensible Optimism