Stay close to those who are not afraid to be vulnerable

Stay close to those who are not afraid to be vulnerable, because they have confidence in themselves and know that, at some point in our lives, we all stumble; they do not interpret this as a sign of weakness, but of humanity.Avoid those who seek friends in order to maintain a certain social status or to open doors they would not otherwise be able to approach.Paul Coehlo

In my house growing up we had to be "strong" crying was a sign of weakness, when I burst out in tears I would hear "Let me give you something to cry for" which may be followed with a pinch or maybe two "hard slap". Crying then would now be totally out of the question then for who wants another pinch or "hard slap"? Not me no sireeeee
And so showing any sign of so called weakness was never a feature in my make up. Crying? hell naw no chance, weakness? no I fix things and I am strong! That had its advantages on many occasions however when the proverbial shit hit the fan, all the proverbial shit stayed inside until it started overflowing and stinking up my life!
Now I have learnt that vulnerability is a type of super power, it allows me to be wholly and fully me and feel comfortable that those around me who judge that and run - let them run and those who judge me and stick around with a willing mind and spirit we can work it through and those who accept me we are on the same path
Vulnerability allows me to release the toxic feelings of what no longer serves me it allows me to know that feeling a feeling is ok, feelings are signals and signs pointing me in a direction, to welcome them, accept them, deal with them and heal. 
And so when I realized that, all hell broke loose, I am crying in the movies, in front my lap top reading something, when I meditate, running and seeing the sun rise, at the beach seeing the sun set- OMG I went overboard! but hey, I have some years to make up for don't I? 
Avoidance denial and repression cannot help you
It's the most life-strengthening gift you'll ever give yourself...to see what you've been refusing to see. To deal in order to heal. Every day you keep yourself from looking that shit square in the eyes is a day you keep yourself exactly where you are.

I have been learning compassion, self love, acceptance and non judgement- who knew???
Peace

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

30 Things I Believe

What Does Support Look Like to You?

Sensible Optimism