How do you show up in the world?

We all know sometimes life's hates and troubles 
Can make you wish you were born in another time and space 
But you can bet you life times that and twice its double 
That God knew exactly where he wanted you to be placed 
so make sure when you say you're in it but not of it 
You're not helping to make this earth a place sometimes called Hell 
Change your words into truths and then change that truth into lov
e As By Stevie Wonder

How do you show up in the world?
How will the world be when you leave it?

This is an issue I believe in strongly, making where ever I am a better place
The people who came before me and paved a path for me took their responsibility very seriously. According to Maya Angelo - my crown has already been paid for
These thoughts came racing back into my head over the weekend with the opening of the African American Museum in Washington DC. Where the history of a people will be told, to inform, educate and instill pride into the lives of the up and coming generations
As I was discussing this with my grandma we started talking about progress, she mentioned that whatever area that we are involved in, to stand for what is right
She gave me the example of when she went to work in the oilfields, at that time there were little or no women working in the oil industry, they placed her to work in the stores area and there were no female bathrooms. She asked her boss about it and he said find your own bathroom or use what is there, we will not be making special arrangements for one woman.
My grandma said there will be many more behind me so get prepared
She advocated for the ladies room and was ostracized and suspended from the Department yet she continued, the result being a separate ladies bathroom. The women who came afer just saw a ladies room, they did not know or was ever told the story
I have to take my responsibility seriously
to make wherever I am a better place, instead of moaning about what is missing, what we don't have and who should do something- I can do something!
It just makes me a  better human being as well
and I like being better
Peace


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

30 Things I Believe

What Does Support Look Like to You?

Sensible Optimism