Let me walk the talk!


The beginning of love is to let those we love be perfectly themselves, and not to twist them to fit our own image. Otherwise we love only the reflection of ourselves we find in them." - Thomas Merton, 20th Century Catholic writer.

On the base there’s quite a few people who keep the operation running smoothly, awesome women and men who contribute to the vision!  Some of the women here work long hours and go  the extra mile. If they were in any Western organisation they would be leaders raking in the big bucks, but they just get on with it despite the odds. Over the past couple of weeks a number of complaints have been raised about one of these ladies. Every day something seems to be surfacing. Ok so now, I had the opportunity to be part of a situation. Everything in my flat was cut off, electricity, cable tv, whatever, you know it and there was also no petrol in my car either. So my initial reaction – “ How on heaven’s earth did this happen, is it so difficult to get this right?” Hmm someone is not doing what they are supposed to be doing! I got on the base and I was like what’s going on here? Same lady – Madam I forgot, I will make I right today. I joined the complaint party, then I said wait a minute, let me try something new and decided to try a different approach  All week, complaints about this lady, every single day! I said let me pay attention, let me ask myself what would love do in this situation?
So my approach has been to be calm, not engage in the complaining party behind the lady’s back and go talk to her with all the love my heart can hold! Listen it wasn’t easy at first eh, ah mean missing an Arsenal game for me is almost a crime!!! But I have learnt that its so easy to complain and the focus moves from what the situation ought to be and back to the problem! I am not trying to change anyone I have just decided a different approach to facilitate a less contentious situation mainly too because I have been advocating to them for peaceful conflict resolution since I have arrived! Let me walk the talk!
Anyways, the bills were paid, Arsenal lost the bloody game and there has been more discussion on coming up with solutions rather than just cussing and complaining! It’s a far more pleasant experience.
So what did I learn today?
Focused enlightened thought – wrap it around your mind and the situation transforms!

Peace!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

30 Things I Believe

What Does Support Look Like to You?

Sensible Optimism